Preaload Image


  • Do I need residence permit?
If your visa expires when you are here you may need to get a residence permit. You will need to make an online appointment for a residence permit.
  • Is it possible to get reduced-fare transportation card for students?
Yes, it is. You will need to apply online for a transportation card.
  • What are the business and consulting hours of the International Office?
You may find us at the international office through Monday-Friday from 8.30 AM to 5.00 PM.
  • How does my institute nominate me? Each exchange student must be nominated by their home institution to UTAA.
The home institution should send the UTAA application form before the deadline announced for every academic term.
Nomination of a student is acceptable if:
  • the form is complete (a department or academic unit must be specified), and
  • the bilateral agreement between the institution has positive student quota for the term applied
Once the nomination is complete please continue with the Application Process.

  • How do I apply?
Each incoming exchange student applicant must complete an application form.
Undergraduate and graduate incoming exchange students must provide the following information:
  1. Application Form
    Application forms must be completed in full and signed by the student. Original, fax, or photocopies will be accepted. Please contact our office if you need additional information.
  2. Academic Records
    A copy of an official transcript in English or translated into English from your home institution.
  3. Course List
    A list of the courses you would like to take at UTAA.
  4. For Non-native English speakers
    Non-native speakers of English should provide proof of English proficiency with the following criteria:*
Note that the application form contains a Learning Agreement that needs to be approved and signed by your departmental and institutional coordinators of both home and host institutions. All exchange students are required to take at least one course from the department you are enrolled in. Erasmus exchange students need to take at least two courses from the department they are enrolled in.
  • Do I need to pay any fees in order to apply?
  • Should I send my application form via regular post, fax, or e-mail?
Original, e-mail attachments or photocopies will be accepted.
  • Is it possible to receive an extension for the application deadline?
  • Do I need to provide a document for language proficiency?
Language of instruction at UTAA is English. Erasmus exchange students and exchange students whose native language is English do not need to provide any documentation. But students whose native language is not English need to provide proof of sufficient English proficiency.
  • Does UTAA  provide financial aid to exchange students?
  • What kind of support does UTAA provide for exchange students in terms of orientation programs and adjustment to the school/city itself?
During the pre-registration period an orientation presentation is offered that will help students learn to navigate public-transportation, receive residence permits and receive student discounted transportation cards and student ID’s. Students can always drop by our office with questions during office hours.
  • What should I do after sending my application documents?
Upon receiving a complete application form, International Office sends a confirmation message to your e-mail address stated in the application form before sending your files to the respective department. The length of the evaluation process may vary from department to department. Once the departmental evaluation process is concluded you will be informed of the result via e-mail.
  • What should I do if I have not received any message from the International Oficce although I have sent my application form and accompanying documents before the deadline?
You should inform the office ( via e-mail.
  • How will I be officially informed of the results concerning my Erasmus application?
Once the respective department informs International Office of a positive result a Letter of Acceptance is sent to the exchange office of your institution. It is therefore vital to have an updated regular postal address in Nomination Form which is filled in and sent by your institution prior to your application files. If the result is negative, the respective department within  International Office of your institution will be informed via e-mail.
  • Do I need a visa?
As soon as you receive your acceptance letter, along with it you should apply for a Student Visa by contacting the nearest Turkish Consulate in your city/country. The procedure can take about 15 to 45 days. Upon your arrival you need to apply for a residence permit within 30 days. This will allow you to travel in and out of Turkey without re-applying for the visa.
  • Is it possible to obtain tourist visa rather than a residence permit?
No. Tourist visas can be purchased while entering the country and its duration is 90 days. However, a tourist visa can be taken only once in 180 days and a semester is longer than 90 days. Once you leave the country you cannot come back and finish your semester so you should definitely not take a tourist visa.
  • What should I do to obtain a residence permit?
Before leaving for Turkey, exchange students should pick up their letter of acceptance from their home institution offices and obtain a multi-entry student visa from the nearest Turkish embassy or consulate.
Upon your arrival you need to apply for a residence permit within 30 days. This will allow you to travel in and out of Turkey without re-applying for the visa.
Make an online appointment to apply for a residence permit !
The following are needed in order to apply for a Residence Permit:
  • The cost of the Residence Permit booklet is 145TL (fee for 2011).
  • Pick up your “Student Certification” from the Office approximately three weeks after the registration.
Following application, the residence permit is processed within several days. The authorities will need to keep your passport in the meantime. It will then be returned to you along with your residence permit booklet. Kindly hand our office a copy of this booklet to be filed along with your other documents. Take the booklet with you if you leave the country; you will need it to re-enter.
  • Do I need to extend my residence permit?
You will have to extend your residence permit before its expiration if you have one. For extension, you should get certain documents including certificate of education taken from International Office after you complete your registration for the respective semester. Later on, you will go to Ankara  Emniyet Mudurlugu* with all the documents for extension.
* Konya Devlet Karayolu Üzeri İskitler/YeniMahalle  ANKARA
  • What should I do if I intend to be in the country past the end of the semester?
 International Office can provide the necessary documents and can help explain the procedure to extend your visa. Also many students choose to leave the country


  • I signed a contract and they told me from The International Office that they will nominate me to my host institution. But, it has been a while and I haven’t heard anything. What do I need to do?
Fall students are nominated before Spring students. So, Fall students will receive an e-mail from their host institution before Spring students. In general, if you do not receive an e-mail about your application from the host institution two months prior to your expected departure, please contact us.
  • I have some questions about my host institution. Whom can I contact?
The host institution’s web site. Web sites contain many details about the institution’s curriculum, offered courses, dormitories, and so on.
  • Can you help with my application form?
Most application forms are simple. Please try to fill them out yourself first. But, if you get stuck, you may contact us during office hours.
  • How soon after my placement by the Committee will I know if I am going to receive an Erasmus grant?
Unfortunately, we don’t have an exact answer for this. National Agency announces the grant amount awarded to each university. Only after that is announced, we can announce which of our students receive a grant.

  • The grants are announced and I am not going to receive a grant. Can I still go?
Yes. Please fill in the following form that states that you are willing to go even if you do not receive a grant.
  • The grants are announced and I am not going to receive a grant. Do you think there will be additional grant?
Probably not. Even if we receive a small amount of additional grant, the grant will come at the end of Spring semester.
  • I need to ask you a few questions. When is a good time to visit the office?
Please come during the Office Hours.
  • I prepared a Learning Agreement. Who approves this document?
Your departmental Erasmus coordinator checks the contents of the Learning Agreement and approves the document. Both your departmental Erasmus coordinator and UTAA’s institutional coordinator need to sign the document.